December 13, 2012

On [announcing my new blog] Being Joyful Always.


On the plane across America on my way to see my love (after 2 and a half LONG months of waiting), I read a book that I downloaded for free on my Kindle a few months ago.

Community Wins: 21 Thoughts on Building a Thriving Online Tribe written by Bryan Allain (I'd never heard of him and knew nothing about him, but it was on my Kindle and I had a 4-hour flight, plus another hour and a half flight, and it was either that or House of Mirth, and I just wasn't feeling turn of the century New York City) was such a fast, easy read with very specific and helpful action steps.

It wasn't written just for bloggers, but since I'd been wanting to expand my blog (while also focusing it) I was happy to find tons of helpful tips, suggestions and anecdotes.

But this isn't a book review.

This is an announcement.

The man in the green sweater sitting next to me on the plane was very angry.

I boarded first (aisle seat for the win), and he arrived a few seconds later huffing and puffing. His heavy breathing was not from a long walk down the jet bridge, it was from his fuming anger for being assigned a window seat (it wasn't even a middle seat, calm down).

He whipped out his cellular device. Immediately after the person on the other line answered he remarked with hostility, "Are you working or did you take the day off??"

No friendly greeting.
No kind gesture.
Only a harsh question.

"I just wanted to say goodbye before I take off. You never know what could happen."

Stay with me. I have no qualms about touching base with loved ones before a flight. I also have a habit of texting or calling when I'm about to get on a plane. But it was what sweater man said next that made it even worse. It appeared that he wasn't really concerned about touching base with whoever was on the other end of the line. He seemed to just want to complain.

"This plane is [bleeeeeeeeeping] small. It's a [bleeeeeeeeeeping] puddle jumper."

Granted, the plane was surprisingly small given it's cross-continental nature, but really, you should be rejoicing that 14D isn't a middle seat, Mister Green Sweater.

Through the course of reading this book (and subsequently taking notes on my answers for the action steps), I learned that my online community needs to reflect what is important to me. So I'm refocusing, evaluating, and putting my energies into what is valuable to me.


And that's where it starts: 
Joy in the little things.
Joy in the big things.
Joy in green sweaters.
Joy in tiny planes.
And joy, even when the airline assigns you to the seat you most despise.

Being joyful always. 


Go add it to your Reader app of choice.

And please, join me over there starting in January 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment