March 11, 2012

[25 before 25] Pinterest Recipe No. 2: Chicken Enchilada Soup.

My mom's recipe for Chicken Enchilada Soup. Talk about comforting on a cold day!
Here is the second recipe for number 11 on my 25 before 25 list. Confession, I didn't find this recipe on Pinterest. But it's so good, it deserves to be pinned! I got this recipe from my mom. She said she found the recipe in a newspaper while on a vacation to Disneyland!

Chicken Enchilada Soup
1 16 oz can black beans
1/2 T vegetable oil
1 cp chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (I buy pre-minced garlic, so I put in about 2 teaspoons.)
1 t ground cumin (I'm pretty sure this is the secret ingredient! YUM!)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 - 14 1/2 oz cans chicken broth
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 - 4 oz cans chopped green chilies
2 t dried oregano
2 cups chopped chicken (I pre-cooked the chicken in some taco seasoning to give the soup a little more zest and spice!)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
tortilla chips

Heat oil in large pot. Add onion, garlic and cumin. Saute until onion is softened but not browned. Drain and rinse beans. Add beans, tomatoes and broth to pot. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir in tomato sauce, chilies, oregano, and chicken. Simmer 15 minutes. Serve in bowls, cilantro, cheese and tortillas can be added to individual bowls as desired.

I absolutely fell in love with this recipe the first time I made it. It is incredibly, mind-blowingly EASY! You literally just put everything in a pot on the stove. (And I don't use the word "literally" lightly!) It is fantastic for large groups of people, small groups of people, eating alone, saving as leftovers, and it is very warming to the soul! Check out my Pinterest food board and let me know what recipe to try next!

No comments:

Post a Comment